Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Mixin' It Up

For months now I've been anticipating the arrival of my car. My grandmother gave me her 2000 Honda Civic as a gift. Of course, there were no iPods in 2000, thus there would be no fancy plug to hook up mine. Needless to say I got a bit excited about creating mix CDs for the car. Maybe too excited.

The thought of creating whatever mix I wanted gave me musical freedom from the often questionable selections on the radio.

I love making mix CDs for all occasions-- birthdays, holidays, new cars. I am also the queen of themes. If something can have a theme, it will. I've made CDs for when I'm having a good or bad day, guilty pleasures (like Britney Spears or the Jonas Brothers), and for when I'm in the mood to party.

With the holidays quickly approaching, mix CDs make great, personalized gifts for friends. They're inexpensive, and they allow you to not only introduce your friends to new music, but also remind them of songs that you have shared together.

A simple mix is all you really need to get your feelings across to someone. Maybe for your best friend you play them a little "I'll Be There For You" by The Rembrandts. For your boyfriend or girlfriend you might want to hit 'em with some "I Just Called to Say I Love You" by Stevie Wonder.

I finally received my car the other day, and while I worry about safety on the road, I'm also concerned with my musical choices coming from my stereo. I just pop in a mix CD and I'm ready for anything.

No comments: