Saturday, August 4, 2012

Maccabia Games



    I am leaving tomorrow morning for a week of athletic competition with athletes from all over the country. I will be competing in the  JCC Maccabia Games for soccer. I am very excited to represent our county as one of the 93 delegates in over 30 different sports, including basketball, tennis, baseball, swimming, and lacrosse. I will be staying with a host family in Memphis, Tennessee where the games will be played. 

     I know I love the game of soccer, but this gives me an opportunity to compete against players from all over the United States. The timing is very exciting because it is at the same time as the Olympics in London. I am really look forward to meeting many new people and hopefully bringing home the Gold!
 
     One of the challenges I will face is having to live with a family who is not mine and people who I do not know. I have talked to my host mom on the phone, while she sounds very nice, it won't be the same without my mom there. There is always that nervous feeling before you go. "What if she doesn't like me? "What kind of food will she give me?" "Where will I sleep?" These are questions that I have thought about for these last couple days. I feel comfortable in knowing that I will be staying with another girl from my team and from what I have heard, my host family sounds super welcoming and nice. 

     If you have any fears or anxiety about trying something new, I encourage you to go in with an open mind and an attitude that it will be a great experience. At first I was so nervous with the thought of staying with strange people I didn't know and playing in a state that I'd never been to, but after speaking with my host family and talking to some friends, I am confident that this will be a once in a lifetime experience that I will never forget. 

No comments: