Wednesday, July 27, 2011

A Teenage Jew's Views On Some Amazing Jewish Experiences

By Stacey Pasternak, Cooper City High


Hello all!

My name is Stacey Gayle Pasternak, and I am a Jew. I feel extremely lucky to be a Jew, not only because Jews make up only 0.2% of the world's population, but also because I get to join some incredibly impactful youth groups. Namely, BBYO.

For those of you who don't know, BBYO stands for the B'nai B'rith Youth Organization. It is a teen-led Jewish youth group movement with the slogan, "More Jewish Teens, More Meaningful Jewish Experiences."

photo: My BBYO chapter, Nesichot

BBG (Nesichot meaning princesses in Hebrew, BBG meaning B'nai B'rith Girls) is my heart and home. I always feel so comfortable whenever I go to our weekly Tuesday meetings. But sometimes, you just have to try something out of your comfort zone in BBYO. There is no better way to do this then by going on Summer Experience programs. This summer, I decided to go on one popular Summer Experience among us BBYO-ers called CLTC, which stands for Chapter Leadership Training Conference. CLTC is for those newer members who want to learn how to be both better leaders in their BBYO lives and chapters as well as in their lives outside of BBYO and in the real world. My CLTC started on July 5th. CLTC 4, 2011 (there are 7 of them all throughout the summer, and they each last 12 days). I can honestly say it was the one of the best 12 days of my entire life. I met so many new and inspirational people who would soon become my very best friends, had some experiences with Judaism that will last me a lifetime, learned about myself and who I want to become, formed sisterly bonds with the girls in my mock chapter, and so much more. So, if you are a Jewish teen, that mean YOU have the privelage of bringing BBYO into your life and YOU can take that extra step by going to CLTC and other Summer Experience programs. Nothing is stopping you and you have nothing to lose and everything to gain. Take my advice and enjoy your experiences to the fullest.

xx,

Stace~

No comments: