Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Frankenstein + YouTube Video = Moment of Realization

One of my favorite things to do in my free time and that I always try to make time for is watching makeup tutorials and hair tutorials from my favorite YouTubers off of YouTube. Well as I was watching a bunch of videos from this one user, I came across a video she did in which she spoke about confidence just trying to give everyone out there watching a few tips to being a more confident person.

Her reasoning for making this video is because she caught a few guys teasing this one girl based upon how she was dressed and they were loud and clear enough for the girl to hear. The YouTuber proceeded to explain how it's wrong for people to treat others so horribly and those are the kind of people you need to stay away from.

Of course, being in AP Literature, I automatically thought of a reference to Frankenstein. The creature in the story is completely cast aside for his appearance although he originally starts out so pure at heart. This novel definitely harshly portrays the cruelty of mankind in society and how the way you treat someone can especially bring them up to be a different person than they started out to be.

For instance, the creature started out so kind and pure with a passion to learn. But by his constant letdowns with everyone casting him aside, he became enraged with humankind and began to do things that we would consider "inhumane" although the most humanly possible thing is causing him to do these acts.

So this is when I had a realization moment that we can all have our moments where we look at someone and automatically make judgments about them and usually we act based upon that quick glance of judgment. So while in the process of reading this novel and watching this video, I am appalled at how people act and although I have always known people act that way, I feel that now I understand the concept so much more. So let me cut to the chase. Next time you see someone and their looks begin to determine your opinion about the person, stop that train of thought and try getting to know them. This may be a cliche but there is a reason cliches exist. It's what is on the inside that counts.

No comments: