Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Renewing a Lost Love

Almost any avid reader will tell you that a good book can take you into other worlds and transport you from day-to-day life to places where anything is possible. Even when you put the book down, the characters and the world they live in stay alive in your mind, just waiting for you to open up the book and keep reading.
But what about the feeling of emptiness after finishing a great story?
Today I finished "The Kite Runner" by Khaled Hosseini, and I'm experiencing just that.
One of the first times I recall feeling this was in elementary school, when I read "Tuck Everlasting" by Natalie Babbitt. I devoured that book, waiting to see what happened at every turn of the page. But at the same time, I didn't want the story to end. When I finished the book, it left a void - I wanted more, more, more of the story, but there's was nothing left.
I've felt that way more times than I can count since then, but now that I'm in high school I have less time to read.
"The Kite Runner" renewed my love of reading. I hope from now on I'll make time to read, rather than reading when it is assigned for school, or when I have spare time and nothing else to do.
And to fill the hollow left by the end of one book, I'll just pick up another.
Next up, "Tricks" by Ellen Hopkins.
Read on!

No comments: