Monday, January 2, 2012

Young Adult Novels for Young Adults

As a reading enthusiast, I am always willing to read a book, even if the chances I will actually enjoy it are 50/50. Often when I'm searching the shelves of the library I disregard the cliche "don't judge a book by it's cover." I am always judging a book by it's cover. I figure, if I like the outside of the book, I might just like what's on the inside. This is obviously not how some people approach book choosing, but it works for me.

I'm a huge fan of any kind of fiction, I have found. My favorite authors are F. Scott Fitzgerald, J.D. Salinger, and Oscar Wilde, to name a few. As much as I love the classic novels, a new kind of fiction has recently captured my attention; young adult fiction. The books I've read within this genre include the Mortal Instruments series, beyond entertaining and perfect for the fantasy loving book worm, The Hunger Games series, three novels that will have you on cliffs by the end of each and eager to read more, and my favorite of the bunch, The Carrie Diaries novels, featuring young Carrie Bradshaw from the infamous Sex and The City books, show, and films and her beginnings.

Of course, my book selection may not be the best for all people. Being a reviewer I understand that. But these books, being young adult novels, have so much in common with teenagers that you honestly have to read them to realize it. Even though we may not be fighting demons, or fighting for our lives in a nation-wide death match, we do have romance issues, dealing with our first loves, and we do have those annoying family fights, and essentially, the experiences that will teach us exactly what we need to know when we're on our own.

Ultimately, Carrie Bradshaw may not be the best heroine for all teenagers, but her and her friends, a.k.a. the characters in the novel, tell a fantastically entertaining story that all teenagers today can take tips from, just like other young adult books. No wonder the library has recently created a whole section for teenagers, the books are obviously special enough to relate to our own lives. So, i'm encouraging you to check out the latest novels out in the young adults sections of your library or book store, i promise you won't be disappointed. And go ahead and judge the book's cover!

No comments: