Thursday, August 18, 2011

As the summer doors close, the school doors open

The countdown started with months, then weeks, and finally days. As the time left in summer vacation continues to dwindle, the 2011-2012 school year is just around the corner. Bright and early Monday morning, my summer will be over and the overwhelming stress, endless studying, and sleepless nights will begin once again.
Even though saving my summer reading for this week may have not been the best idea, it was worth it having two full months without a worry on my mind. This summer happened to be the most relaxing and carefree one to date. Without having a job, going to camp, or doing anything that required a commitment, I almost forgot what it is like to wake up to an alarm clock and have a set schedule. Since this school year will be my busiest yet, I will have to reluctantly make the difficult transition from having too much free time on my hands to having slim to none at all.
This summer, I had two weeks of excitement. One week I attended Camp Orlando, which is a journalism camp for yearbook students. I learned a lot of valuable tips and information during the workshop and I also had a phenomenal time bonding with my yearbook staff. The following week, I went on an eight day cruise aboard the Carnival Freedom. I relaxed at a beach in Cozumel, Mexico, drove through the rain forests and banana plantations of Costa Rica, and visited the Panama Canal in Panama. I also happened to make some lifelong friends and memories that I will never forget.
As my sophmore year approaches, I look forward to new classes, new teachers, new friends, and new beginnings. Even though a fresh school year is always exciting, I will miss summer and everything that came along with it. However, there is one thought that will keep me motivated: in just ten months, I can do it all over again.

By Niki Wasserman

No comments: