Thursday, September 15, 2011

A Terrible Day at the DMV


I have been counting down the days until I get my license since I was 12. The independence, freedom, and of course, the red convertible Barbie car (which has changed, I promise.)

So when I had only minutes before getting in a car and performing the three point turn, parking, and quick stop, I was ecstatic. Sure, I was nervous, okay VERY nervous, but I was going to ace it, I just knew.

Then comes the examiner, a very nice guy who carried polite "small talk" until we got into the car. Soon, this nice examiner turned vicious.

I understand that it's the examiner's job to be strict, it is a test. But, the unnecessarily mean comments were uncalled for.

For instance:
1. When I did a quick stop, and actually stopped quick.
He said, "YOU NEED TO LISTEN TO INSTRUCTIONS!! DID I TELL YOU TO SLAM ON THE BRAKES? NO. SO WHY DID YOU??!?!"
I am so sorry sir, you told me to do a quick stop, I apologize for stopping too QUICK.

2. When we were nearing a stop sign, and I still had NO clue which way to turn my blinker, I ever so kindly asked, "Excuse me, which way would you like to go?"
The examiner rebutted with, "YOU NEED TO LISTEN TO ME. IF I DON'T TELL YOU TO TURN ON THE BLINKER, DON'T!"
I am so sorry examiner, it's kind of sort of LAW to turn on your blinkers, just saying.

3. Finally, after going through a fifteen minute period of the examiner yelling at me after performing each and every maneuver, the examiner has the nerve to tell my father, "SHE DID A SPLENDID JOB. YOUR DAUGHTER IS AN AMAZING DRIVER. SHE PASSED."
Really? Was I an amazing driver when I did the quick stop too quick for your taste? HUH?

As you can see, I had a very frustrating time.

BUT I PASSED! It only took twenty minutes in a car with a mean guy.

So mean, that I cried.

I know, how horrible.

Poor girl who passes her license test on the first try cries and has a nervous breakdown in the DMV.

I know, how embarrassing.

But after crying for twenty minutes in front of 50 people I didn't know. I actually started to feel better.

My advice to you, never take the driving test. Just kidding! Just hope you get a nice examiner (as you can see, they can be vicious.)

Side Note: Thank God they took my picture BEFORE I took the test. They probably do that on purpose because half the kids who take the test end up coming back a slobbering mess.


No comments: