Monday, October 3, 2011

Staying Active

Many times a week do I find myself doing homework and studying for hours on end, eating super unhealthy foods and hardly moving from my desk. It's a terrible feeling, it really is, not being active, not getting enough exercise and not enough fresh air.
I felt that way last week, and I decided to do something about it.
This past weekend i got a basketball. Now, i've never been much of a basketball player, in fact i've never actually played the sport competitively, and i've been a huge soccer and tennis fan growing up. For some reason, though, i got a basketball. My community has an awesome basketball court that I hardly see anyone using, and I decided i would make it a part of my day to visit the court and shoot some hoops. Now that it's been a few days playing, i feel so much better. I feel like i have more energy in school, I feel healthy and strong, and a cold i've had for ages is quickly passing. It's amazing what just a basketball and some determination can do to somebody!
Schools these days don't stress physical education; many of my friends get the required credit from an online class. Sure, there are cons to PE in school: getting all sweaty and not being able to shower, carrying around gym clothes, being tired for the rest of the day. But in the long run, the pros outweigh the cons. Kids these days just don't get enough exercise. Even though this topic has been stressed in so many different ways, I still feel as if it hasn't really gotten through to teenagers.
Bottom line: whether it's ping pong, or volleyball, some sort of physical exercise on a daily basis is guaranteed to make you feel better! Gather up a group of friends, walk somewhere, ride your bike around your neighborhood. Healthy living is definitely something that is not to be ignored.

No comments: